Once in a while every student is asked to watch a movie, read a book or any other article and to express personal opinion about it. That is why if you want to know how to write a reaction paper, you should first remember that it is a task, where you need to summarize obtained information and write down your reaction.
Here are the main things you need to consider, when working on your reaction paper:
- Keep in mind all the basic standards of writing: clear and academic language, unity, absence of mistakes and coherence;
- Your main paragraph should express one single point and the rest of the paragraphs should support that idea;
- Always support your ideas and thoughts with examples and quotes from the book or movie you were asked to analyze;
- Stick to a common format. It should consist of a summary, reaction and conclusions. If you have enough time, create an outline of the work;
- Don’t forget about proofreading and editing. You may lack time but try to read every paragraph carefully not to miss any typos or mistakes. If possible, use plagiarism software to make sure your paper is unique;
- Ask your professor what is a reaction paper reaction paper format, as it greatly influences the overall display of the task;
- Use quotes, numbers or any other practical materials to make your paper live and interesting;
- Always cite sources!
Now, when you know what a reaction paper is about and what elements it should include, it is a right time to name the main mistakes most of the students do:
- Absence of structure. Always write an outline and follow a clear pattern to include all the important details to your work;
- Not making notes. Read the article or watch the movie several times and note down everything you find important: names of characters, interesting details and phrases;
- Absence of reference lists. If you quote author, you should always cite him or her properly. Your professor may even lower your grades if you neglect this important step.
Completing a reaction paper is very simple if you know where to start and are ready to devote enough time to it!
Reaction papers examples
Unfortunately, many students lack time and can’t complete their high school and college tasks on time. That is why more and more scholars prefer downloading a reaction paper example. With its help, they are able to understand the structure and get an overall idea how it should look like.
Remember, reaction paper sample is not cheating and it is a great tool to simplify the whole process of completing the assignment!
Reaction paper format and outline
Writing a reaction paper, as any other academic assignment, should follow a common structure. If you are not sure what guidelines to follow, you can always ask your professor. If not, just familiarize yourself with a widely accepted structure, presented below:
- Body paragraphs;
- List of references.
You should always start your reaction paper with an introduction. It consists of the summary and the main questions you are going to discuss along the way. A perfect size of this section is three to four sentences. Don’t forget to provide all details about the author, title and main characters. Your introductory section should end with a thesis statement, which provides the main goal of the work and needs to be supported in your body paragraphs.
Body paragraphs should contain your reaction on the material, whether it is a book, a movie or a TV show. You should not only explain your reaction but also back it with quotes from the sources. Analyze them and avoid being too subjective. Of course, you have your own reasons and a personal opinion but it is necessary to back everything with proofs and links.
In addition, you can write several paragraphs with other reactions. You can use such phrases as ‘I think’, ‘I believe’ and so on.
Your conclusions should support a thesis statement and express your predictions for the future. It may include influence of the book or movie on the sphere, your class or target audience.
Now you know how to write reaction paper and can describe any piece of literature or cinematography without any stress and worries, even if the deadline is approaching!